28 Jun 2019
Generic Name : CARBAMAZEPINE (ORAL)
Carbamazepine is an anticonvulsant that is used to treat Bipolar Disorder, Trigeminal Neuralgia and Diabetic Neuropathy. Classified as a ‘Dibenzazepine Anticonvulsant’, Carbamazepine works by decreasing nerve impulses that cause nerve pain and seizures. This drug stimulates the release of ADH and directs its action to reabsorb water. It is popularly understood as a medicine that is used to treat seizures.
- Carbamazepine is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- The oral tablet, which is to be consumed with food.
- General Adult Dosage available: Oral tablet – 100mg, 200mg, 400mg (Extend release capsules and chewable tablets are available in the same strengths) Oral suspension – 100mg/5mL
SIDE EFFECTS –
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Skin rashes
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in the upper stomach
- Irregular palpitations
- Sore throat
- Bleeding gums
- Lack of balance
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- It is important to be cautious regarding the patient’s mental and physical safety while on drug course. Be prepared to call a doctor immediately in case there is an irregularity to report.
- Provide a detailed and accurate medical and drug history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of heart problems, kidney problems, liver diseases, glaucoma, low sodium levels, porphyria or depression. Also notify in case anti-depressants or any other drug is being consumed.
- Do not use this drug in case you have a history of bone marrow suppression, are allergic to the drug or consume anti-depressants.
- In case of pregnancy, strictly follow the doctor’s instructions as to regulation or termination of drug.
- Do not use this drug if any MAO inhibitor is taken in the 14 days prior to consumption, to avoid a dangerous reaction.
- Family or friends must pay attention and provide emotional support to the patient while on drug course, as this drug can cause suicidal thoughts to occur.
- Use other methods of contraceptives to have safe sex, as birth pills are rendered ineffective due to this drug.
- Wear protective clothing or wear sunscreen while on drug course as this drug can cause sunburns easily.
- Avoid alcohol while on drug course.
- Avoid grapefruit while on drug course.
- This drug can cause suicidal thoughts and tendencies. Mental and physical health must be checked frequently to ensure regular health.
- Avoid complicated activities such as driving while on drug course.
- Carbamazepine can sometimes cause a lethal rash on the skin. This rash can start out mild but then be very life-threatening. Report sightings in case there are, as soon as observed.
- Several drugs react with Carbamazepine. Report every single medication you use to your doctor, to avoid any deadly interactions.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Symptoms may include fainting, shallow breathing or severe drowsiness.