ABSTRACT – Typhus is a bacterial infection caused by one of the bacteria of rickettsia family. This infection spreads...
Typhus is a bacterial infection caused by one of the bacteria of rickettsia family. This infection spreads through fleas, mites, lice and ticks feces or bites. Rubbing and scratching the bite area can open the skin pores to give bacteria free access to enter easily into the bloodstream wherein it can further continue to replicate and grow.
The cause of this condition depends upon the type of this disease:
- Epidemic or louse-borne – Caused by Rickettsia prowazekii and carried by lice or ticks
- Endemic typhus or murine – Caused by Rickettsia typhi and carried by rat flea or cat flea
- Scrub – Caused by Orientia tsutsugamushi and carried by the larval staged mites
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
- Excessive head pain
- Rashes on the back, chest or other parts of body
- Low BP or hypotension
- Muscle pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Dry cough
- Sores in the skin
- Inflamed lymph node
- Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage