ABSTRACT – Hives or urticaria is red, itchy raised swells or nettle rash on the skin which is produced...
Urticaria or Hives is red, itchy raised swells or nettle rash on the skin which is produced by an allergen. The swells might appear in varying shapes and sizes which last no longer than 6-12 hours. It is not contagious.
- Acute Urticaria
- Chronic Urticaria
- Medications such as antibiotics used for high blood pressure
- Insects or intestinal parasites
- Viral infections
- Cold and fever
- Frequent scratching or rubbing on skin
- Changes in temperature
- Tight clothing
- Dust mites
- Insect bites and sting
- Sunlight exposure
- Thyroid disease or lupus
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
- Patches of red colored swollen skin i.e. wheals
- Excruciating swollen lips, eyelids and throat makes breathing difficult
- Nausea and vomiting
- Extreme anxiety
- Moist skin
- Physical Examination
- Blood test
- Skin Biopsy
- Stool sample test
- Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR) Test to diagnose problems in immune system
- Anti-inflammation medications
- Immune suppressing drugs
- As per the estimation, around 1.3% of population gets affected by this common condition.
- Individuals between the age of 10 to 40 years are majorly affected from Hives.