ABSTRACT – Yellow fever is a viral infection transmitted through the bite of infected mosquito, Aedes aegypti. It may...
Yellow fever is a viral infection transmitted through the bite of infected mosquito, Aedes aegypti. It may affect the major organs of the body and can become fatal if turns severe. There is no specific treatment for this condition but vaccination can prevent a person to get infected from this disease.
- A virus carried by Aedes aegypti mosquito
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
Acute phase :
- Muscle pain
- Nausea and vomiting
Toxic phase :
- Yellowing of skin
- Slow pulse rate
- Liver and kidney failure
- Abdominal pain
- Decreased urination
- Brain dysfunction like hallucination, confusion, seizures and coma
- Bleeding from mouth, nose and eyes
It’s a life-threatening phase and can be fatal.
- Based on medical and travel history
- Blood test
- Stay away from mosquito infested areas
RISK FACTORS –
- Yellow fever prone areas
- Mosquitos carrying virus
- Infected individuals
- Regular vaccination
- Use measures against mosquitos like skin and non-skin repellents
- Maintain hygiene in the surroundings
- As per WHO, around 2, 00,000 people get affected every year globally which results in 30,000 deaths.
- Almost 50% cases of yellow fever are severe and incurable.