Generic Name : AUGMENTIN ABSTRACT – Augmentin is an antibiotic drug that is used to treat bacterial infections like...
Augmentin is an antibiotic drug that is used to treat bacterial infections like pneumonia, sinusitis, bronchitis, bacterial ear infections, tonsillitis, urinary tract infections and other dermatological infections caused by bacteria. It is composed of two drugs – amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium, the former being an antibiotic drug that works against bacteria, while clavulanate potassium is a beta-lactamase inhibitor that disallows the target bacteria to form a resistance against amoxicillin. It is classified a ‘penicillin-like-antibiotic’. It is sometimes used to treat certain Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI).
- This drug is to be consumed as per doctor’s instructions only. Follow through till the end of course duration, even if illness symptoms stop occurring.
- This drug is better taken with food or milk, to prevent upset stomach.
- It is generally consumed every 8-12 hours.
- Adult dosage –
- Solid tablet – 500mg/12 hours, 250mg/8 hours
- Liquid solution – 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL
- Follow doctor’s instruction on regulating child dosage of this drug.
SIDE EFFECTS –
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Severe vaginal discomfort
- White patches on the tongue
- Dark urine
- Bloody stools
- Severe diarrhea
- Easy bleeding or bruising
- Allergic reactions like rashes, itching, swelling, shortness of breath, hives.
- Augmentin can cause false-positive results in tests for glucose in urine, and hence it is important to inform the doctors of the Augmentin prescription.
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Birth control pills
Augmentin has major interactions with at least 9 different drugs.
MILD INTERACTIONS OF AUGMENTIN ARE:
Augmentin reacts moderately with at least 68 different drugs.