Generic Name : BETAMETHASONE ABSTRACT – Betamethasone belongs to the Glucocorticoid class of drugs. It is used in treating...
Betamethasone belongs to the Glucocorticoid class of drugs. It is used in treating numerous diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, dermatitis, psoriasis, various allergic conditions too which include asthma and angioedema. It is used to treat preterm labor babies, patients with Crohn’s disease. leukemia and adrenocortical insufficiency. It is given in the form of an injection or applied as lotion and cream.
- Betamethasone has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Prescribed dosage:
Injection: 6 mg/ml Cream: 0.5mg/1g Lotion: 0.5mg/1ml Ointment: 0.5mg/1g
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Menstrual irregularity
- Skin irritation
- Adrenal suppression
- Excessive hair growth
- Petechiae i.e. small red patches on skin in bunch
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Weakening of muscles
- Fluid retention
- Pulmonary edema
- The patient can witness dryness in the skin and blurred vision.
- Electrolytes and fluid disbalance have been observed.
- The long term treatment leads to Adrenal insufficiency.
- The patient can develop Cushing’s syndrome.