Generic Name : BETHANECHOL ABSTRACT – Bethanechol is pharmacologically and structurally related to acetylcholine. It is a parasympathomimetic type...
Bethanechol is pharmacologically and structurally related to acetylcholine. It is a parasympathomimetic type of drug which is given orally and subcutaneously. It is muscarinic agonist used in stimulating the muscarinic receptors with no nicotine effects. It is prescribed to increase smooth muscle tone, in cases of urinary retention.
- Bethanechol has to be taken as directed by the doctor.
- Prescribed dosage:
Tablet: 10mg, 25mg, 50mg
- Liquid: 5mg subcutaneously
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Facial edema
- Shortness of breath
- Teary eyes
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Abdominal discomfort
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Bronchial constrictions
- Increased gastric motility
- The patient may faint frequently.
- The weakness may persist and the patient might encounter chest pain.
- Treatment for long term helps in the betterment of cerebral palsy.
- It may also enhance neural signaling.
- Long term consummation of drug can cause coronary artery disease.