Generic Name : CEFTRIAXONE (INJECTION) ABSTRACT – Ceftriaxone is an antibiotic drug that is used to treat bacterial infections...
Ceftriaxone is an antibiotic drug that is used to treat bacterial infections in the system. It is a cephalosporin injection drug that is used as a preventive measure to avoid infections before certain surgeries. This drug is even used to treat severe bacterial illnesses such as meningitis.
- Ceftriaxone is to be taken as directed by the doctors. It is generally administered by medically experienced persons.
- It is to be injected into a muscle, or administered through a vein using an IV.
- This drug is generally diluted with a liquid of a specific dosage before being administered. Follow doctor’s instructions with regards to this.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Injection – 250mg, 500mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Vaginal itching
- Vaginal discharge
- Sore throat
- Chest congestion
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Severe abdominal pains
- Back pain
- Discolored urine
- Blood cell disorder
- Severe rashes
- Difficulty in urination
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Calcium chloride
- Cholera vaccine
- Typhoid vaccine
Ceftriaxone has major interactions with 12 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Ceftriaxone has moderate interactions with 47 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of allergies to penicillin, kidney or liver diseases, gallbladder diseases, diabetes or colitis.
- Notify in case of the usage of blood thinners such as warfarin or Jantoven.
- Do not use Ceftriaxone in case of allergies towards cephalosporins.
- This drug can transfer through breast milk; therefore, a consultation with a doctor may be necessary during this period.
- In case of medical tests (especially blood sugar tests), notify the doctor beforehand as this drug can alter medical test results.