Generic Name : CEPHALEXIN ABSTRACT – Cephalexin is an antibiotic drug that is used to treat bacterial infections such...
Cephalexin is an antibiotic drug that is used to treat bacterial infections such as ear infections, skin infections, urinary tract infections and certain respiratory infections. This drug is classified as a ‘First generation’ cephalosporin.
- Cephalexin is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- This drug is available in the form of oral tablets as well as liquid solutions.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 250mg, 500mg
- Liquid solution – 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Joint pains
- Vaginal itching
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Severe diarrhea
- Severe abdominal pains
- Lack of urination
- Sore throat
- Unusual bleeding
- Loosening of skin
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Cholera vaccine
- Typhoid vaccine
Acyclovir has major interactions with at least 39 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Cephalexin has moderate interactions with 55 different drugs.
- Provide your doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history. Notify especially in case of an allergy to the drug, kidney diseases, colitis or a medical condition that requires the patient to use blood thinners.
- Do not use Cephalexin in case of allergies to any cephalosporin antibiotic.
- This drug can transfer through breast milk. Consult a doctor regarding nursing while on drug course.
- Do not share Cephalexin with another patient who displays the same symptoms
- This drug cannot be used to treat viral infections.
- This drug contains an amount of sugar that may be harmful to diabetics. Consult a doctor regarding strength of dosage, in such cases.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pains or bloody urine.