Generic Name : CETIRIZINE ABSTRACT – Cetirizine is a popular antihistamine drug that is used to treat swellings, hives...
Cetirizine is a popular antihistamine drug that is used to treat swellings, hives and cold or allergy symptoms. It works by reducing the effects of natural histamines in the body that are responsible for symptoms such as sneezing, runny or stuffy noses and watery eyes.
- Cetirizine is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- This drug is available in forms of oral tablets, liquid medicine or ophthalmic solution.
- The ophthalmic solution needs to be dropped into each eye once per dosage.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 5mg, 10mg
- Liquid solution – 1mg/mL
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Dry mouth
- Sore throat
- Abdominal pain
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Rapid palpitations
- Unusual variations in the amount of urination
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Cetirizine has no major interactions, but has moderate interactions with 582 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of an allergy to the drug.
- Do not nurse while on drug course as Cetirizine may transfer through breast milk and affect newborn’s health.
- Avoid alcohol while on drug course.
- Avoid engaging in complicated activities that demand complete attention while on drug course, as Cetirizine may impair thinking, sleep schedule and reaction time.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include restlessness, exhaustion or drowsiness.