Generic Name : CLARITHROMYCIN ABSTRACT – Clarithromycin is an antibiotic drug used to treat various bacterial infections of the...
Clarithromycin is an antibiotic drug used to treat various bacterial infections of the skin and the respiratory system. In combination with specific other drugs, it is also used to treat stomach ulcers that are caused by Helicobacter Pylori. Classified as a macrolide antibiotic, Clarithromycin works by fighting against the bacteria within the body that is responsible for such infections.
- Clarithromycin is to be taken as directed by the doctors. This drug may be used in combination with certain other drugs. Follow the prescription strictly in either case.
- While the regular tablets and the oral suspension may be taken with or without food, the extended-release tablet is strictly to be taken with food.
- This drug is generally prescribed for a week or a fortnight.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 250mg, 500mg Oral solution – 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Stomach pain
- Unpleasant aftertaste
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Blood in discharge
- Severe diarrhea
- Irregular palpitations
- Upper stomach pain
- Discolored urine / stool
- Difficulty in urination
- Shortness of breath
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Clarithromycin has major interactions with 167 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Clarithromycin has moderate interactions with 348 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of heart problems, a history of Long QT syndrome, myasthenia gravis, kidney/liver diseases, diabetes or coronary artery disease.
- Do not consume this drug in case of an allergy to Clarithromycin or any other antibiotic, a history or jaundice or liver problems due to this medication, kidney diseases or the consumption of colchicine.
- It is important for the doctor to have a drug history of the patient before prescription, as several drugs can interact with Clarithromycin.
- Clarithromycin may harm the fetus or an unborn baby. Consult a doctor regarding the use of this drug during pregnancy.
- Do not nurse while on drug course, as this drug can transfer through breast milk and harm a newborn baby.