Generic Name : CODEINE ABSTRACT – Often considered as narcotic pain reliever, Codeine is an opioid pain medication that...
Codeine is an opioid pain medication that is used to relieve a patient from pain which may range from mild to severely moderate levels. This drug is classified under ‘Antitussives’ or ‘Narcotic Analgesics’.
- Codeine is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Do not stop taking this drug unless advised so.
- This opioid medication is not to be shared with anyone.
- Discard drug case as soon as the course has been terminated.
- To avoid an upset stomach, this drug is recommended to be consumed with food or milk.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Opioid medication (Oral) – sulfate 30mg/60mg; phosphate 30mg/60mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Stomach pain
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Shallow breathing
- Slow heart rate
- Manic mood behavior
- Difficulty urinating
- Serotonin syndrome
LONG-TERM EFFECTS –
- Drug abuse or drug dependency
- May affect fertility in both men and women for an unknown duration of time
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Codeine has major interactions with 108 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Codeine has moderate interactions with 306 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of liver diseases, asthmatic conditions, respiratory conditions, kidney diseases, brain tumors, low blood pressure, pancreatic/gall bladder disorder, enlarged prostate or any mental health disorder.
- Do not use this drug in case of breathing problems, asthmatic conditions, and blockages in the intestines or stomach with episodes of hyperventilation.
- Take care not to use cold/allergy medications, other narcotics, sedatives such as Valium, or any other medication that may slow breathing or cause drowsiness, while on drug course.
- Keep patient hydrated regularly (6-8 glasses of water a day) to avoid constipation while on drug course.