Generic Name : WARFARIN (ORAL) ABSTRACT – Coumadin is a blood thinner that is used to prevent blood clots...
Coumadin is a blood thinner that is used to prevent blood clots in arteries and veins. This anticoagulant is used to reduce the risk of heart problems and strokes. This drug is classified under the drug class, ‘Coumarins and Indandiones’.
- Coumadin is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- This drug is to be taken at the exact same time each day over the drug course.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 1mg, 4mg
- Injection – Sodium 2mg in 1mL
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Easy bruising or bleeding
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Jaw pain
- Skin discoloration
- Vomiting of blood
- Irregular palpitations
- Upper right stomach pain
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Coumadin has major interactions with 131 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Coumadin has moderate interaction with 361 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of diabetes, congestive heart failure and other heart conditions, liver/kidney diseases, clotting deficiencies or low blood platelet conditions.
- Do not consume this drug in case of hypertensive blood pressure, spinal anesthesia, upcoming or recent surgery upon the eye, brain or spine.
- Do not consume this drug straightaway in case of pregnancy as it can cause a fatality. Consult with a doctor regarding the steps that need to be taken in case of the need of this blood thinner.