Generic Name : DIGOXIN (ORAL/INJECTION) ABSTRACT – Digoxin is an antiarrhythmic medication drug that is used to treat heart...
Digoxin is an antiarrhythmic medication drug that is used to treat heart conditions such as heart failure and atrial fibrillation. This inotropic agent derived from the leaves of the digitalis plant helps the heart beat stronger and improves the rhythm of the heartbeat, thus being able to treat specific types of arrhythmia.
- Digoxin is to be taken as directed by the doctors. This medication should be continued till course end, even if symptoms improve.
- Oral Digoxin is to be consumed at the same time every day.
- Digoxin injection must be administered through a muscle, or as infusion through the vein.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 500mcg, 750mcg (initial dose); 125mcg, 375mcg (additional dose)
- Capsules – 400mcg, 600mcg
- Injection – 400mcg, 600mcg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Mild rashes
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Swelling the breasts
- Bloody diarrhea
- Weight loss
- Stomach pain
- Severe nausea
- Uneven heart rate
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Digoxin has major interactions with 18 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Digoxin has moderate interactions with 293 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of sick sinus syndrome, AV block, heart attack, Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome, kidney disease, thyroid disorders or in case of electrolyte imbalance.
- Do not consume this drug in case of an allergy to the drug itself, or in case of ventricular fibrillation. This drug can treat atrial fibrillation, but can aggravate ventricular fibrillation.
- Cooperate with regular blood pressure tests and blood tests to ensure regular health.
- Do not breast feed while using this drug as there may be risks posed to the mother or child.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Keep patient dehydrated at all times, to avoid heat strokes.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Overdose of Digoxin can be fatal.