Generic Name : DOXYCYCLINE SYRUP ABSTRACT – The medication Doxycycline belongs to the drug class called Tetracycline. It is...
The medication Doxycycline belongs to the drug class called Tetracycline. It is a prescription antibiotic and is used to treat various kinds of infections caused by bacteria which also leads to deadly fevers like Q fever, typhus fever, rocky mountain spotted fever. The medication only helps to treat bacterial infections by restricting the growth of bacteria in human body. If the drug is used to treat viral infections like cold and flu then it does not work. The drug works for treating acne and plays an important role in adjunctive therapy.
- Doxycycline has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Forms and strengths for adult dosage:
Solution: Reconstituted power for IV- 100 mg
- Syrup: 50 mg/5mL
- Oral Suspension: 25 mg/ 5ml
- Capsule: 50, 75, 100 150 mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Esophageal ulcer
- Facial redness
- Inflammation in the small intestine and colon (Enterocolitis)
- Lesions on the genitals or anus
- Loss of appetite
- Low blood sugar (Hypoglycemia)
- Low levels of white blood cells or platelets
- Skin hyperpigmentation
- Skin peeling (Exfoliative Dermatitis)
- Swelling in tongue and tooth discoloration
- Upper abdominal pain
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Drug rash with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms
- Exacerbation of systemic lupus erythematosus
- Hemolytic anemia
- Low platelet count (thrombocytopenia)
- Low white blood cell count (neutropenia)
- Intracranial hypertension
- Serum sickness
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Aminolevulinic Acid
- Typhoid Vaccine
Doxycycline has major interactions with 12 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS:
Doxycycline has moderate interactions with 133 different drugs.
- The medication contain some inactive ingredients like sulphides which result in allergic reactions. So a patient having a history of allergies should talk to the pharmacist first.
- Before consuming the medication, medical history of swallowing or esophagus should be discussed.
- Any kind of vaccination or immunization should not be taken while taking this medication.
- The drug might make patients sensitive to the sun so sunbathing or tanning booths should be avoided.
- Continuous use of the drug can lead to discoloration of the tooth.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH DOXYCYCLINE:
- Use of Doxycycline in pregnancy is not recommended.
- Do not nurse while on drug course, as this drug may transfer through breast milk and may harm a newborn.
- In case of renal impairment, the dosage of the medicine should be reduced.
- The drug should be avoided before taking the food containing calcium as it blocks the amount of drugs.
- Women who are overweight may suffer with the problem of high blood pressure during the drug course.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.