Generic Name : EPHEDRINE (CAPSULES/TABLETS/NASAL) ABSTRACT – Ephedrine is a medication drug that is used to treat difficulties in...
Ephedrine is a medication drug that is used to treat difficulties in breathing, chest congestion or wheezing due to bronchial asthma. This drug, being a decongestant as well as a bronchodilator, works by reducing the narrowing of blood vessels in the nasal passages and the lung airways so as to allow easy flow of air. This drug is also classified as a vasopressor.
- Ephedrine is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- This drug is to be taken with food to avoid an upset stomach.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Solution – 50mg/mL
- Injection – 5mg/mL – NaCl 0.9%
- Tablet – 25mg, 50mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach irritation
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Ephedrine has major interactions with 31 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Ephedrine has moderate interactions with 150 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses such as heart conditions, stroke, blood vessel problems, seizures, diabetes, glaucoma, problems with the prostate, adrenal gland or with blood pressure.
- Do not consume this drug in case of an allergy to this drug, hospitalization due to asthma, MAO inhibitor or heart conditions.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions. Notify especially of the use of any beta-blocker, bromocriptine or reserpine.
- Avoid using this drug if the patient plans to be pregnant.