Generic Name : EPINEPHRINE INJECTION ABSTRACT – Epipen is used as an injection to treat the various symptoms of...
Epipen is used as an injection to treat the various symptoms of severe allergic reaction caused due to insect’s bites, stings, drugs, food poisoning. It contains the chemical called epinephrine which helps in narrowing blood vessels to expand airways in the lungs for better breathing. The drug immediately improves low blood pressure, itching or hives, wheezing and other consequences of allergic reactions. The injection is also used to treat exercise-induces allergic reactions (anaphylaxis).
- EpiPen has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- The dosage varies with the body weight of the patient.
Patients with weight equal to 30 kg or more – 0.3 mg
- Patients with weight between 15 to 30 kg – 0.15 mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Abnormal or decreased touch sensation
- Arm, back, or jaw pain
- Bleeding and discoloration of the skin
- Infection, inflammation, itching on skin
- Blurred vision
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Chest tightness
- Cold, pale, or bluish color of the fingers or toes
- Fast, slow, irregular heartbeats
- Fear or nervousness
- Numbness, tingling, or pain in the fingers
- Shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- Trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- Trouble in breathing
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
EpiPen has major interactions with 36 different drugs.