Generic Name : ERGOCALCIFEROL (VITAMIN D2) ABSTRACT – Ergocalciferol drug is a type of vitamin D which helps the...
Ergocalciferol drug is a type of vitamin D which helps the body to absorb more calcium and phosphorous. The medication is used to treat bone diseases like hypoparathyroidism which reduces the functioning of parathyroid glands; rickets which causes vitamin deficiency resulting in bone softening; hypophosphatemia which is caused due to low levels of phosphate in the human blood. Vitamin D is generally made by the body when it is exposed to sunlight. This drug allows bone growth and helps to prevent calcium loss caused due to kidney diseases.
- Ergocalciferol has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages:
12,000 to 500,000 international units orally daily
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Severe dizziness
- Trouble in breathing
- Weight loss
- Itching and swelling (especially in the face/tongue/throat)
- Loss of appetite
- Increased thirst
- Unusual tiredness
- Increased urination
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Intellectual disability
- Bone demineralization (osteoporosis) in adult
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Ergocalciferol has major interactions with 7 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Calcipotriene topical
- Calcitriol topical
Ergocalciferol has moderate interactions with 50 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is utmost necessary to discuss any medical history related to high level of vitamin D, problem in absorbing nutrition from food, kidney diseases and liver diseases.
- The drug is not advised for diabetic patients as liquid medicine might contain sugar.