Generic Name : EXEMESTANE ABSTRACT – Exemestane is an aromatase inhibitor that is used to treat breast cancer in...
Exemestane is an aromatase inhibitor that is used to treat breast cancer in postmenopausal women. It is used in place of other medications, radiation or surgeries that proved to ineffectively curb the illness. This drug works by reducing the levels of estrogen in body which in turn, slows the rate at which certain specific types of breast tumors grow.
- Exemestane is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects. Drug course may even last for up to 5 years.
- This drug is generally taken once a day, after the meal.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 25mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Joint pain
- Increased hunger
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Abnormal bone pain
- Swelling in the limbs
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest pain
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Exemestane has a major interaction with Thalidomide and has moderate interactions with 66 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses or conditions such as liver / kidney disease.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to the drug itself, or in case the patient has not reached menopause.
- Inform the doctor about all the drugs being consumed to avoid severe drug interactions.
- Cooperate with frequent blood tests while on drug course, to ensure regular health.
- Strictly do not nurse while on drug course. Do not use this drug while pregnant as it could harm the unborn baby.