Generic Name : LETROZOLE ABSTRACT – Femara is an aromatase inhibitor that is used to treat breast cancer in...
Femara is an aromatase inhibitor that is used to treat breast cancer in postmenopausal females. Generally taken along with tamoxifen, Femara works by lowering estrogen levels which is considered beneficial for slowing the rate at which breast tumors grow within the body.
- Femara is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- This drug is to be consumed once per day (or on alternate days) with / without food.
- This drug may take up to 4 weeks for blood pressure to come under control.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 2.5mg (per day)
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Bone pain
- Muscle / Joint pain
- Increased sweating
- High levels of cholesterol
- Weight gain
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Femara has major interactions with 2 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Femara has moderate interactions with 65 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as liver diseases, osteoporosis, or high levels of cholesterol.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Femara itself, or in case the patient is pregnant or has not reached menopause yet.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions. Do let the doctor know especially in case of the consumption of tamoxifen.
- This drug can harm a baby severely in case of nursing period or pregnancy. Do not nurse a child for at least 3 weeks after the last dose of Femara. Avoid nursing while on drug course.
- Cooperate with regular medical tests to measure the efficiency of this drug and to ensure regular health and normal bone density.