Generic Name : FLUDROCORTISONE ABSTRACT – Fludrocortisone, classified as a steroid, is used to treat conditions such as Addison’s...
Fludrocortisone, classified as a steroid, is used to treat conditions such as Addison’s disease as well as salt-losing adrenogenital syndrome, wherein the body does not produce natural steroids. Fludrocortisone works by lowering the level of substance-releases that are responsible for inflammations within the body. This drug is classified as a mineralocorticoid.
- Fludrocortisone is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- This drug should not be stopped suddenly, so as to avoid withdrawal symptoms.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 0.mg, 0.2mg (once per day)
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Stomach bloating
- Slow healing wounds
- Change in body fat
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Blurry vision
- Rapid weight gain
- Severe depression
- Bloody diarrhea
- Low levels of potassium
- Extreme hypertension
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Fludrocortisone has major interactions with 54 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Cholera vaccine
Fludrocortisone has moderate interactions with 373 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as kidney / liver disease, thyroid conditions, diabetic conditions, malaria, tuberculosis, osteoporosis, myasthenia gravis, glaucoma / cataract, herpes infection of the eyes, ulcers, mental health issues, congestive heart failure or hypertensive blood pressure.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Fludrocortisone or in case of fungal infections.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions.
- This drug can harm a baby severely in case of nursing period or pregnancy. Consult a doctor as to the use of this drug during feeding and gestation. Avoid nursing while on drug course.
- Cooperate with regular blood pressure tests to measure the efficiency of this drug.
- Avoid live vaccines while on drug course.