Generic Name : FLUOROURACIL (INJECTION/TOPICAL) ABSTRACT – Fluorouracil is an antimetabolite drug that is used to treat and prevent...
Fluorouracil is an antimetabolite drug that is used to treat and prevent the growth and spreading of cancer within various parts of the body. The injection form of this drug is used to treat cancer within the colon, rectum, the breasts, stomach or the pancreas. The topical form of this drug prevents the growth of cancer among the skin cells by killing them off completely. This form is used to treat actinic/solar keratosis, superficial basal cell carcinoma or other scaly overgrowths of skin.
- Fluorouracil is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- The injection form of this drug is administered via an IV. Given once a day for up to 4 days and then alternatively for four days, this drug can be administered on a weekly basis.
- Apply the topical form of this drug on the affected area with finger tips/non-metal applicator and smoothen it gently.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Injection – 50mg/mL Topical – 5%, 2%, 1%
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Temporary hair loss
- Watery eyes
- Temporary loss of nails
- Skin irritation/redness/rashness (topical)
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Sore throat
- White patches
- Bloody vomit
- Watery diarrhea
- Severe headache
- Severe shedding skin/itching/rashes (topical)
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Folic acid
- Rotavirus vaccine
- Yellow fever vaccine
Fluorouracil has major interactions with 44 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Fluorouracil has moderate interactions with 137 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as kidney/liver disease, DPD enzyme deficiency or a radiation treatment within the pelvic area.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Fluorouracil, bone marrow depression, any serious infections or in case of malnutrition.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions, especially drugs such as BiCNU, CeeNU or Neosar.
- Do not breastfeed while using this drug.
- The topical form of this drug is only for the skin. Clean affected area before application. Wash hands before and after usage. Handle skin with protective gloves.
- Do not apply this drug on severely irritated skin. Avoid covering affected area with gauzes or bandages.
- This drug can harm a baby severely in case of pregnancy. Avoid using this drug while pregnant.
- Cooperate with regular blood pressure tests to ensure regular health.
- Avoid live vaccines while on drug course.