Generic Name : FLUPHENAZINE ABSTRACT – Fluphenazine is a psychotropic drug that is used to treat specific psychotic conditions...
Fluphenazine is a psychotropic drug that is used to treat specific psychotic conditions such as schizophrenia. This drug is a phenothiazine-antipsychotic drug that affects the brain by changing the chemical imbalances within, considered responsible for schizophrenia. It blocks non-selective postsynaptic mesolimbic dopaminergic H2 receptors for this action to occur.
- Fluphenazine is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- The oral solution of this drug needs to be diluted with two ounces of thick liquids such as milk, tomato juice or fruit juice (besides apple juice).
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 2.5mg – 10mg (between 6 to 8 hours, as initial dose), 1mg – 5mg (per day, as maintenance dose)
- Injection – 12.5mg – 25mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Stiffness in the neck
- Speech problems
- Overactive reflexes
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Serious motor disorders (Uncontrollable muscle movements)
- Severe stiffness
- Sudden weakness
- Sore throat
- Blurry vision
- Severe nervous system reaction
- Severe skin reaction
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Fluphenazine has major interactions with 85 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Fluphenazine has moderate interactions with 588 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as heart conditions, bone marrow suppression, brain tumors, liver / kidney diseases, asthmatic conditions, breast cancer, glaucoma, seizures, pheochromocytoma, Parkinson’s or enlarged prostate.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Fluphenazine or other phenothiazine, or in case of liver disease, brain damage, blood cell disorders, alcoholism or the consumption of any medication that makes one drowsy.
- Consuming this drug in the last trimester of pregnancy can cause severe problems in the newborn. Consult a doctor as to how to take this drug while pregnant.
- Cooperate with frequent medical tests to ensure regular health while on drug course.
- Do not stop using this drug all of a sudden, so as to avoid severe withdrawal symptoms.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions. Notify especially of drugs that can slow breathing, cause drowsiness or cause dangerous side-effects.
- Avoid alcohol while on drug course.
- Wear protective clothing while on drug course, as this drug can cause one to sunburn much easily.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- This drug is not approved to treat dementia-related psychotic conditions, as it can cause side effects that may lead to death.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.