Generic Name : DEXMETHYLPHENIDATE ABSTRACT – Focalin is a psychotropic drug used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)...
Focalin is a psychotropic drug used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) by stimulating chemicals in the brain and altering imbalances to change the level of impulse control one may have. This drug is a mild central nervous system stimulant.
- Focalin is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- The regular tablet is to be taken twice a day with/without food with a gap of 4 hours.
- The extended-release capsule is to be taken once in the morning. The contents of this capsule can be sprinkled and mixed with honey or other sweet-stuffs to make swallowing easier.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 2.5mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Heart conditions
- Difficulty breathing
- Signs of psychosis
- Circulatory problems
- Blurry vision
- Painful genital erection
- Serotonin syndrome
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Focalin has major interactions with 18 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Lindane topical
Focalin has moderate interactions with 76 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as heart conditions, hypertensive blood pressure, mental health issues, Tourette’s syndrome, circulatory problems, seizures, abnormal brain wave tests or substance abuse.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Focalin or methylphenidate, or in case of glaucoma, severe anxiety or a family history of muscle tics.
- Do not consume this drug until 14 days after using an MAO inhibitor, in case of the need to use it.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions. Notify especially in case of the usage of antidepressants, blood pressure medication, other stimulants, blood thinner or seizure medication.
- Consuming this drug during pregnancy can cause severe side effects such as premature birth or withdrawal symptoms in the newborn.
- Avoid consuming this drug in the evening as it can cause insomnia.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not approved for any child under the age of 6.
- Focalin is often a drug of abuse. Never misuse this drug or share it with another person. As it can be habit forming, this drug can lead to overdose, substance abuse and even death. Reach out for help in case of substance abuse.
- Being a stimulant, this drug can cause stroke, heart attacks or even sudden death in individuals that suffer from hypertension.
- This drug can cause growth irregularities in children that consume this drug.
- This drug, in certain cases, can cause a severe condition called serotonin syndrome. Consult a doctor with regards to the risks involved while on drug course.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Symptoms of overdose generally include extreme restlessness, dark colored urine, nausea, diarrhea, uneven palpitations, seizures or even a coma.