Generic Name : TERIPARATIDE ABSTRACT – Forteo is a man-made supplement form of a hormone that naturally occurs within...
Forteo is a man-made supplement form of a hormone that naturally occurs within out body, the parathyroid hormone. This drug enables treatment of osteoporosis that may have caused by menopausal conditions, steroid usage or gonadal failure. As this drug is used to strengthen bone mineral density, it is generally used when patients have a high risk of suffering from bone fracture.
- Forteo is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- Forteo is injected beneath the skin once per day. Often, an injection pen may be provided along with the medication which can be used by the patient for self-administering.
- Dispose of the injection pen after 28 injections, in case it is prefilled. The injection is to appear clear and colorless while it is suited for use.
- This course generally lasts only for as long as two years.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Injection – 20mcg (subcutaneous; thigh / abdominal wall)
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Joint pain
- Pain in various regions of the body
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- High levels of calcium within the body
- Fluttering in the chest
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Calcipotriene topical
- Calcitrol topical
Forteo has no major interactions and moderate interactions with 4 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as Paget’s disease, high levels of calcium / alkaline phosphate within the blood or a history of bone cancer, kidney stones, overactive parathyroid glands, or radiation treatment.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Forteo itself.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions. Notify especially in case of the use of digoxin or digitalis.
- Abstain from breast-feeding while on drug course.
- Prepare the patient on a bed during administering, as Forteo can cause the patient to feel dizzy, needing a place to sit or lie down.
- Use disposable needles only once.
- This drug may be accompanied by diet, exercise or other vitamin supplements. Make sure to follow all these prescribed suggestions that the doctor will make.
- Do not freeze this medication. Dispose if frozen.
- Avoid cigarettes and alcohol while on drug courses, as these can cause bone fractures quite easily.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not safe for children whose bones are still in developmental stages.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Symptoms of overdose include nausea, vomiting, extreme dizziness or even fainting.