Generic Name : FOSFOMYCIN ABSTRACT – This drug works as an antibiotic and is used to treat bladder infections...
Fosfomycin drug works as an antibiotic and is used to treat bladder infections in women. It works in the body by restricting the growth of bacteria in the body. This drug can also be administered for infections outside the bladder like kidney infections.
- Fosfomycin has to be taken as directed by the doctors
- Adult dosages: 3 g (1 sachet) orally once as a single dose
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Itching in the genital area
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Thick, white vaginal discharge with no odor or a mild odor
- Body pain
- Dryness or soreness in the throat
- Sore throat
- Upset stomach
- Swollen glands in the neck
- Change in voice
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Blood in the urine
- Cough or hoarseness
- Difficult and painful urination
- Back pain
- Swollen joints and lymph glands
- Weight loss
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Cholera vaccine, live
- Typhoid vaccine, live
Fosfomycin has major interactions with 3 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Fosfomycin has moderate interactions with 1 drug.
- This medication is not recommended for children who are below 12 years of age
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical related conditions like kidney disease.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which need more attention should be avoided
- Avoid consuming alcoholic beverages
- Avoid taking any vaccinations or immunizations while using this medication.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH FOSFOMYCIN:
- Use of Fosfomycin in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved
- Fosfomycin transfers into breast milk in small amounts. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding
- Do not use this antibiotic for no reason as doing this might prevent it from working for future infections
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately