Generic Name : GALANTAMINE ABSTRACT – GALANTAMINE is used to treat the problem of dementia among Alzheimer’s patients....
GALANTAMINE is used to treat the problem of dementia among Alzheimer’s patients. The medication does not cure Alzheimer but helps in improving memory, awareness and thinking ability needed for daily chores. It works in the body by maintaining the balance of different neurotransmitters present in the brain. Further, it boosts the functioning of cells in the nervous system by controlling the breakdown of a certain chemical called acetylcholine
- Galantamine has to be taken as directed by the doctors
- Adult and pediatric dosages: Injection solution: 4 mg/mL Tablet: 4 mg; 8 mg; 12 mg; 16 mg; 24 mg.
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Weight loss
- Acid or sour stomach
- Increased sweating
- Indigestion and irritability
- Lack of appetite
- Feeling of discomfort or illness
- Lack of strength
- Trouble in concentrating and sleeping
- Muscle spasms
- Upset stomach
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Change in taste
- Long deep sleep
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Galantamine has major interactions with 6 different drugs
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Galantamine has moderate interactions with 313 different drugs
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to seizures, liver diseases, kidney disease, stomach ulcers, bleeding problems, seizures, urination issues, and personal history of asthma.
- Limit the use of alcoholic beverages during drug course
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which needs more attention should be avoided
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH GALANTAMINE:
- Use of Galantamine in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved
- It is not known if Galantamine transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.