Generic Name : HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS (HPV) VACCINE ABSTRACT – Gardasil is used as a vaccine to treat anal...
Gardasil is used as a vaccine to treat anal cancer, abnormal growth in the tissues of anus, or other genital parts. Gardasil is also used in women to treat vaginal cancer and tissue growth. Such conditions in men and women are caused by certain types of Human Papilloma Virus (HPV). Gardasil works in the body by strengthening the immunity of the body against virus. Although, the drug does not help to treat active cancers, genital warts or diseases caused by HPV but it can prevent the disease.
- Gardasil has to be taken as directed by the doctors
- It is administered to men and women from the age of 9 to 45 years
- Adult and pediatric dosages: 2 dose schedule at 0 t0 6-12 months or 3 dose schedule at 0, 2 and 6 months depending on the prescription
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Stomach pain
- Bleeding gums
- Chest pain
- Fast heartbeats
- Loss of appetite
- Pale skin
- Swelling on the face
- Redness in the skin
- Sore throat
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Difficulty in moving
- Body aches
- Nasal and ear congestion
- Loss of voice
- Joint pain and swelling
- Muscle cramps
- Upper abdominal or stomach pain
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Gardasil has moderate interactions with 192 different drugs
- The vaccine does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases like HIV, gonorrhea,herpes.
- Be prepared while receiving the vaccine as it may cause faintness or seizures during the first fifteen minutes.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history of allergy related to yeast, polysorbate, weak immune system, cancer treatments.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH GARDASIL:
- Use of Gardasil during pregnancy is not recommended
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved
- It is not known if Gardasil transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding
- Do not use the drug if there is an allergic reaction in the first shot or else it will lead to life-threatening risks
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately