Generic Name : GARLIC ABSTRACT – Garlic is a kind of natural herb that is related to onions,...
Garlic is a kind of natural herb that is related to onions, chives, and leeks. It is used to treat heart and blood conditions like high and low blood pressure, high cholesterol, reduced blood flow and heart attack. It is also used to treat different cancers of stomach, breast, prostate, rectal, colon, and bladder along with various bacterial, viral, and yeast infections. It has been considered useful in diabetes, cough, headache, sinus, stomach inflammation, tooth sensitivity etc
- It has to be taken as directed by the doctors
- Adult and pediatric dosages: 300 garlic powder tablet 3 times a day
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Redness or swelling
- Blistering when used on skin
- Bruising or bleeding
- Unpleasant body odor
- Nausea and vomiting
- Gastric troubles
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
It has major interactions with 8 different drugs
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
It has moderate interactions with 41 different drugs.
- Avoid using garlic with fish oil or vitamin E.
- It is not recommended to use garlic along with other herbal supplements that affects blood clotting
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to stomach ulcers, digestion problems, bleeding disorders with the doctor
- Use of garlic results in less efficiency of birth control pills. It is better to use non-hormonal birth control measures
- The garlic pill should be swallowed as whole as breaking it destroys a special coating which protects the stomach.
- Since garlic increases the risk of bleeding so garlic should be avoided at least 2 weeks prior to any surgery or dental procedure
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH GARLIC:
- Use of Garlic in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved
- It is not known if it transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding
- Use of any herbal supplement in large doses among children may cause adverse effects
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately