Generic Name : GEMCITABINE ABSTRACT – Gemcitabine is a medication drug used to treat pancreatic, lung, ovarian or breast...
Gemcitabine is a medication drug used to treat pancreatic, lung, ovarian or breast cancer. This drug is often used in combination with other cancer medicines in case of the ineffectiveness of particular cancer drugs. Gemcitabine is a drug that is classified as an antimetabolite.
- Gemcitabine is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- This drug is given through a vein as an infusion.
- General Adult Dosage available:
IV – 200mg, 1g, 2g, 38mg/mL
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Low blood cell counts
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling in the limbs
- Bloody urine
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Capillary leak syndrome
- Vision loss
- Blisters in the mouth
- Severe rashes
- Liver problems
- Lung problems
- Damaged red blood cells
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Zoster vaccine live
Gemcitabine has major interactions with 33 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Gemcitabine has moderate interactions with 133 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as kidney/liver disease, alcoholism or any treatment with radiation.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Gemcitabine itself.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions.
- This drug can harm a baby severely in case of nursing period or pregnancy. Consult a doctor as to the use of this drug during feeding and gestation. Avoid nursing while on drug course for at least one week after last dose. Use proper contraception to avoid pregnancy.
- Wash skin in case this medication splashes over it.
- Do not receive a live vaccine while using this drug.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Keep patient in sanitary conditions away from diseases and infections.
- Wear rubber gloves while dealing with the patient, as this drug can pass through bodily fluids.
- This drug can cause a risk of bleeding, infections, liver/kidney/lung complications or severe skin reactions in case of recent radiation treatment. Notify a doctor immediately in case of severe side effects.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.