Generic Name : GEMFIBROZIL ABSTRACT – Gemfibrozil is a medication drug used to treat unhealthily high levels of cholesterol...
Gemfibrozil is a medication drug used to treat unhealthily high levels of cholesterol and triglycerides that are generally associated with risks of atherosclerosis. This drug is used to decrease the risk of pancreatitis as well as heart diseases in patients that have high levels of triglycerides and cholesterols respectively. This drug is a fibric acid derivative.
- Gemfibrozil is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- This drug is taken twice a day, half an hour before morning and night meals.
- This drug is to be accompanied by diet and exercise schedules that will be prescribed by the doctor for effective results.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral = 600mg (twice a day)
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Stomach pain
- Blurry vision
- Muscle pain
- Lack of sex drive
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Breakdown in skeletal muscle leading to kidney failure
- Sharp pains in the upper stomach
- Unusual palpitations
- Lack of urination
- Pale skin
- Easy bruising
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Gemfibrozil has major interactions with 22 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Gemfibrozil has moderate interactions with 63 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as gallstones, cataracts or heart conditions.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Gemfibrozil itself, or in case of kidney/liver disease or gallbladder disease.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions. Notify especially in case of the consumption of repaglinide, warfarin, simvastatin or any other cholesterol medication.
- Avoid alcohol as it may interfere with treatment.
- Avoid nursing while on drug course.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- This drug can cause kidney failure in case of rapid breakdown of skeletal tissue. Consult a doctor regarding the risks that this drug can lead to.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Overdose may cause stomach pain, diarrhea, joint/muscle pain, nausea or severe vomiting.