Generic Name : ZIPRASIDONE ABSTRACT – Geodon is a psychotropic medication drug that is used to treat schizophrenia as...
Geodon is a psychotropic medication drug that is used to treat schizophrenia as well as manic symptoms of manic depression / bipolar disorder in children and adults. This drug, classified as an atypical antipsychotic, works by changing the effects of various substances produced in the brain to alter mood and manic behavior.
- Geodon is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- Drug course may last for several weeks.
- The capsule form of this drug is to be swallowed whole with food.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 20mg
- Injection – 20mg/mL
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Blurry vision
- Runny nose
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Severe dizziness
- Uncontrolled muscle movement
- Sore throat
- Rigidity in muscles
- Increased thirst/urination
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Geodon has major interactions with 233 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Geodon has moderate interactions with 339 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as heart conditions, stroke, bone marrow disorder, blood cell disorders, breast cancer, low blood levels of potassium/magnesium, seizures, suicidal thoughts, difficulty in swallowing, liver/kidney disease or Alzheimer’s disease.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Geodone itself or in case of arrhythmia, long QT syndrome, untreated heart failure or recent history of a heart attack.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions. Drugs such as anagrelide, methadone, tacrolimus, anti-nausea medications, antidepressants and certain antibiotics should never be taken along with Geodon.
- This drug can harm a baby severely in case of pregnancy, especially in the last trimester. Consult a doctor as to the use of this drug during gestation.
- In case of diabetic conditions, blood sugar levels are to be tested regularly.
- Cooperate with regular medical tests to measure the efficiency of this drug and ensure regular health.
- Avoid alcohol while on drug course.
- Avoid engaging in complicated activities that may lead to injuries, as this drug can impair thinking and reaction time.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug cannot be used to treat children under the age of 18.
- This drug can leave the patient vulnerable to temperatures. Keep the patient hydrated and provide opportunities to exercise regularly.
- Older adults are more prone to the side effects of this drug.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include extreme sleepiness, slurred speech, hypertension or anxiety.