Generic Name : IMATINIB ABSTRACT – Gleevec is a medication drug that is used to treat specific types of...
Gleevec is a medication drug that is used to treat specific types of leukemia, bone marrow disorders, skin cancers and gastrointestinal tumors. Classified as a BCR-ABL tyrosine kinase inhibitor drug, Gleevec works to treat these conditions by interfering with the growth of cancer cells while being no ultimate cure for cancer.
- Gleevec is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- This drug can be consumed with food and a large glass of water.
- Never use a broken tablet. Do not let a broken tablet come in contact with the patient also.
- Dissolve tablets if ease of swallowing is required – 2 ounces of liquid for each 100mg tablet.
- Do not stop consuming this drug unless asked to by a doctor.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – Imatinib Mesylate 100mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Fluid retention
- Stomach pain
- Skin rashes
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Severe fluid retention
- Weight gain
- Kidney problems
- Low blood cell counts
- Fluid-build up in lungs
- Signs of stomach bleeding
- Tumor cells breakdown
- Symptoms of thyroid
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Gleevec has major interactions with 69 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Gleevec has moderate interactions with 451 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as kidney/liver disease, underactive thyroid, heart conditions, stomach ulcers, diabetic conditions or are undergoing chemotherapy.
- Cooperate with regular liver tests to ensure regular function while on drug course.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Gleevec itself.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions. Notify especially in case of antibiotics/antifungals/antiviral medications, seizure medications, blood thinners or any vitamin supplements.
- This drug can harm a baby severely in case of nursing period or pregnancy. Consult a doctor as to the use of this drug during feeding and gestation. Avoid nursing while on drug course for at least a month after last dose.
- Avoid grapefruit while on drug course.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- This drug can affect growth in teenagers and children. Consult a doctor regarding the risks of using this drug during adolescence.
- Keep patient in sanitary conditions away from infections.
- Avoid activities that may lead to injuries, as this drug can impair thinking and reaction time. Brush teeth carefully to avoid wounding.
- This drug can cause a low resistance to infections, increasing a risk of liver problems or fluid retention. Contact a doctor immediately in case of jaundice, severe stomach pains, uncontrolled bleeding, rapid weight gain, heart conditions or fainting.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.