Generic Name : Generic Name : GLUTAMINE ABSTRACT – Glutamine is a kind of amino acid which works...
Glutamine is a kind of amino acid which works as a natural protein to promote the growth and functioning of cells in stomach and intestines. The medication is used as a medical food product that adds glutamine supplement in the diet. Consequently, it helps in treating the glutamine loss caused due to any injury or illness. Further, its usage is also combined with human growth hormone for the treatment of short bowel syndrome.
- Glutamine has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages: Tablet: 5 g to 30 g per day
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Blood in urine
- Changes in skin color
- Fast heartbeats
- Lower back or side pain
- Rapid breathing
- Stomach pain
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Frequent and painful urination
- Skin rashes
- Tightness in the chest
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
RARE SIDE EFFECTS
- Dark urine
- Decreased urination
- Increased heart rates
- Joint pain
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle pain
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Valproic acid
Glutamine has moderate interactions with 7 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to kidney disease or liver disease.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH GLUTAMINE:
- Use of Glutamine in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- It is not known if Glutamine transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding
- Use of glutamine is not considered safe and effective in children below 18 years old.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately