Generic Name : GUAIFENESIN ABSTRACT – Guaifenesin is an expectorant drug that is used to treat chest congestion...
Guaifenesin is an expectorant drug that is used to treat chest congestion due to cold, infections and seasonal allergies. This drug loosens the congestion within the chest as well as the throat, making it easier to cough.
- Guaifenesin is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- Cough medications are to be taken until symptoms clear up.
- This drug can be taken with food to avoid upset stomach.
- Swallow the oral tablet whole.
- General Adult Dosage available: Oral – 200mg, 400mg (every 4 hours, as needed)
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Upset stomach
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Guaifenesin has no known drug interactions that are worth mentioning – notify the doctor of any and all cold / cough medications that the patient is consuming.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as liver/kidney disease or phenylketonuria
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Guaifenesin itself.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions.
- Consult a doctor regarding the use of this drug while pregnant or nursing.
- Extra fluids are to be consumed while on drug course to lubricate the throat.
- Keep out of reach of children. Consult a doctor before giving a child this drug.
- This drug can impair thinking and reaction time, therefore – it is advised to stay away from activities that may lead to potential injuries.
- Immediately In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center.