Generic Name :HYDRALAZINE ABSTRACT – Hydralazine is a kind of vasodilator which works in the body by relaxing...
Hydralazine is a kind of vasodilator which works in the body by relaxing the muscles present in blood vessels to dilate them. This procedure results in lowering the blood pressure level in the body and thus enhances easy blood flow through veins and arteries. It helps in controlling high blood pressure which reduces hypertension.
- Hydralazine has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult dosages: Syrup: 20 mg/mL Tablet: 25 mg; 50 mg; 10 mg; 100 mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Arm, back, or jaw pain
- Chest pain and tightness
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Irregular heartbeats
- Shortness of breath
- Ulcers in the mouth
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Dark urine
- Light-colored stools
- Upper right abdominal or stomach pain
- Yellow eyes and skin
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Hydralazine has major interactions with 1 drug.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Hydralazine has moderate interactions with 251 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to kidney disease, heart stroke, chest pain, or systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which need more attention should be avoided.
- Use of this drug show more sensitive symptoms on adults like confusion, drowsiness.
- Avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH HYDRALAZINE:
- Use of Hydralazine in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Hydralazine may transfer into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.
- The medication should not be used in case the patient has coronary artery disease or rheumatic heart disease which adversely affects the mitral valve.
- Use of this medication is not considered safe and effective in children below 18 years of age.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately