Generic Name :HYDROXYZINE HCL ABSTRACT- The medication is used for treating itching which may be caused due to different...
Hydroxyzine medication is used for treating itching which may be caused due to different allergies like hives or dermatitis. The drug is a kind of antihistamine which works in the body by restricting the production of natural substance called histamine during allergic reactions. In addition to this, the medicine also helps from anxiety for a short period of time after a surgery. It works by reducing the activity in the central nervous system and also serves the purpose of anesthesia.
- Hydroxyzine has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages: Oral Tablet: 50 to 100 mg orally 4 times a day
- Chest pain
- Difficulty with swallowing
- Fast heartbeat
- Irregular or slow heart rate
- Shortness of breath
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Trembling in hands or feet
Hydroxyzine has major interactions with 74 different drugs. MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS–
Hydroxyzine has moderate interactions with 424 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to kidney and liver disease, stomach disorders, overactive thyroid, problem in urination, high blood pressure and glaucoma.
- The medication imposes the risk of low levels of potassium and magnesium in the blood leading to QT prolongation.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which need more attention should be avoided.
- Use of this drug show more sensitive symptoms on children like unusual excitement.
- Avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Diabetic patients should be more cautious with the use of this drug as liquid products of the medication contain sugar and alcohol.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH HYDROXYZINE:
- Use of Hydroxyzine in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- It is not known if Hydroxyzine transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.
- The drug increases the risk of irregular heartbeats which further leads to adverse symptoms like fainting.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.