Generic Name :HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE AND LOSARTAN ABSTRACT- This medication is a mixture of two drugs called hydrochlorothiazide and losartan. Hydrochlorothiazide...
Hyzaar is a mixture of two drugs called hydrochlorothiazide and losartan. Hydrochlorothiazide is a kind of water pill which helps the body in fluid retention by preventing the body from absorbing too much of salt. Further, Losartan is a type of angiotensin II receptor antagonist helps in lowering the level of blood pressure that improves blood flow. So the medication works by preventing conditions like heart stroke, high blood pressure, kidney problems, hypertension and heart attacks.
- Hyzaar has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages: Oral Tablet: Initial dosage- 50/12.5 (losartan 50 mg/hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg) once daily Subsequent dosage- maximum of 100/25 (losartan 100 mg/hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg) once daily
- Irregular heartbeats
- Increased thirst
- Muscle cramps
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Dark-colored urine
- Dry mouth
- Swelling on the face, ankles or hands
- Abdominal pain
- Unusual tiredness
- Irregular heartbeat
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Blood in the urine or stools
- Skin rash
- Swelling in the feet
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Arsenic trioxide
- Levomethadyl acetate
Hyzaar has major interactions with 39 different drugs. MODERATE INTERACTIONS OF HYZAAR ARE:
Hyzaar has moderate interactions with 398 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to kidney and liver disease, lupus, gout, skin cancer, and dehydration.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which need more attention should be avoided.
- The use of this drug makes the skin very sensitive to the sun. Tanning booths and sunlamps should be avoided along with limiting the time in sun.
- Use of this drug show more sensitive symptoms in adults like dizziness and affects the urination. Timings.
- Avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH HYZAAR:
- Use of Hyzaar in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- It is not known if Hyzaar transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.
- Diabetic patients should be more cautious with this drug as it affects the blood sugar level.
- This medication is also responsible for affecting the potassium levels in the body. Use potassium supplements after consulting the doctor.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.