Generic Name :SUMATRIPTAN ABSTRACT- IMITREX medication is helpful in the treatment of migraine. It reduces severe headache and other...
IMITREX medication is helpful in the treatment of migraine. It reduces severe headache and other symptoms like nausea, vomiting and sensitivity to sound. The drug works in the body by blocking a certain natural substance called serotonin which narrows blood vessels in the brain. Immediate treatment by the drug helps to maintain the balance in daily routine and also removes the need of pain killers.
- Imitrex has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages: Oral Tablet: 25 mg; 50 mg; 100 mg.
- Burning sensation
- Chest discomfort
- Neck pain
- Throat irritation
- Abdominal pain
- Blurred vision
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Chest pain
- Chest tightness
- Redness of the skin
- Increased blinking
- Stomach ache
- Unusual bleeding
Imitrex has major interactions with 48 different drugs. MODERATE INTERACTIONS OF IMITREX ARE:
Imitrex has moderate interactions with 19 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to low blood pressure and low blood sugar levels in the body.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which need more attention should be avoided.
- Use of this drug show more sensitive symptoms on adults like blood pressure and heart problems.
- Avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages like marijuana.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH IMITREX:
- Use of Imitrex in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Imitrex transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.
- The drug does not give an assurance of having no migraines in future or lessen the frequency of migraine attacks.
- The drug increases the risk of heart attacks in patients having high cholesterol, chain smokers, postmenopausal women and adults above 40 years of age.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.