28 Jun 2019
Generic Name : CELECOXIB
Celecoxib is a drug used to treat various pains and inflammatory illnesses such as menstrual pain, arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. This drug is also used in the treatment of polyps in the colon as well as rheumatoid arthritis in children above the age of 2. It is a Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug (NSAID) that is classified as a ‘Cox-2 inhibitor’, working against the hormones responsible for inflammation and pains.
- Celecoxib is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- The oral tablet, which is to be consumed whole, can be taken with or without food.
- Contents of the capsule can be sprinkled over food for easier ingestion.
- The initial dosage of the drug is generally 400mg, and then goes down to 200mg per day.
- General Adult Dosage available: Oral tablet – 200mg, 400mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Abdominal pains
- Skin rashes
- Sore throat
- Swelling of facial areas
- Chest pain
- Jaw pain
- Heart problems
- Rapid weight gain
- Shortness of breath
- Blood while coughing
- Blood in discharge
- Severe nausea
- Difficulty in urination
- Symptoms of anemia
- Shortness of breath
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Tacrolimus Celecoxib has major interactions with 60 different drugs.
MILD INTERACTIONS OF ACYCLOVIR ARE:
- Warfarin Celecoxib has moderate interactions with 619 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of a history of internal bleedings, heart diseases, hypertensive blood pressure conditions, asthmatic conditions, kidney problems or liver diseases.
- Avoid intake of alcohol while on drug course.
- Do not take this drug in case of an allergy to sulfa drugs or any NSAIDs.
- Never use this drug immediately before or after a heart bypass surgery.
- Do not take this drug in the last three months of the pregnancy period, as it may harm the fetus. Breastfeeding while on drug course may be harmful for the newborn baby.
- This drug may affect fertility of women. Consult a doctor regarding the same.
- Avoid aspirin or other NSAIDs while on drug course to prevent overdose or drug interactions.
- This drug can lead to internal or intestinal bleeding. In case of severe pain in the abdomen, reach out to a medical health care center immediately.
- This drug can increase the risk of fatal heart attacks or even strokes.
- Keep out of reach of children. Celecoxib is not recommended for children under the age of 2.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.