29 Jun 2019
Cholecystitis is the inflammation of the gall bladder which is a small pear shaped organ on the right side of the abdomen, under the liver. If it is inflamed, a person might feel pain in the upper right or mid- portion of the abdomen. The bile which is formed in the liver is stored in gall bladder which is used to digest food but if the cystic duct gets blocked by gallstone mostly, the gallbladder becomes swollen and infected which results in Cholecystitis.
- Acute – Inflammation which causes severe pain in the mid or right upper abdomen.
- Chronic – Inflammation which damages the wall of the gallbladder.
- Bile duct blockage
RISK FACTORS –
- Family History
- Oral contraceptives
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
- Abdominal pain while taking deep breath
- Cramps after eating heavy foods
- Abdominal Ultrasound – Identify the image of gallbladder and bile duct using sound waves
- Abdominal CT – Computed Tomography is used to detect the actual image of gallbladder,bile duct and intestine.
- Magnetic Resonance Cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) – It is performed to find out theunexplained pain in the abdomen. It is noninvasive and does not include Ionization Radiation
- Nuclear Medicine Test
- Blood Test
- Fasting – To rest the gall bladder
- Pain Relief Medicationss
- Laparoscopic Surgery – A laparoscope is inserted into the belly bottom to see inside theabdomen and remove gallbladder.
- Open Surgery
RISK FACTORS –
- Gradual loss in weight
- Critical illness
- 85% of the gallstones are cholesterol stones found worldwide.
- Females are more prone to get affected from this condition.