23 Jul 2019
Generic Name : CIPROFLOXACIN (ORAL/OTIC/OPHTHALMIC)
Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic drug that is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections in place of a safer antibiotic. Classified as a fluoroquinolone, Ciprofloxacin treats different infections caused by bacteria such as bone / joint infections, skin infections, respiratory / sinus infections, UTIs, bacterial diarrhea and even gonorrhea. It is also used to treat patients that have been exposed to anthrax or specific kinds of plague. The otic form of this drug is used to treat infections such as swimmer’s ear and some inner ear bacterial infections, while the ophthalmic form of the drug is used to treat infections of the eye, such as ulcers in the cornea.
- Ciprofloxacin is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Available in different forms specific to the area of infection, Ciprofloxacin dosage strengths vary.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 100mg, 250mg, 500mg
Oral solution – 10mg/mL, 200mg/100mL
Otic dosage strength – 0.2%, 6% (twice daily for 7 days)
Ophthalmic dosage strength – 0.3%
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Vaginal itching
- Abnormal liver functions
- Stuffy nose/Sore throat (otic)
- Irritations in the eye (ophthalmic)
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Damage in the aorta
- Skin rashes
- Muscle pain
- Breathing difficulty
- Pressure within the skull
- Unusual ear drainage (otic)
- Severe eye irritation or drainage (ophthalmic)
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Ciprofloxacin has major interactions with 116 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Ciprofloxacin has moderate interactions with 344 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of joint problems, tendon problems, aneurisms, circulatory disorders, heart conditions, blood pressure irregularities, diabetes, genetic diseases, muscle / nerve disorders, epilepsy / seizures, brain tumors, Long QT syndrome history or hypokalemia.
- Administer each form of the drug in only the specified area of infection. Do not apply ophthalmic drops in the ear or the otic drops in the eyes.
- Do not consume this drug in case of an allergy to Ciprofloxacin, consumption of tizanidine or theophylline.
- Do not administer the oral form of this drug through a feeding tube.
- Do not use dairy products or caffeine while on drug course.
- Take precautions while going outdoors. Wear protective clothing and sunscreen as this drug can cause sunburns more easily.
- Avoid wearing contact lenses while using the eye drops, until the infection dissipates.
- Do not nurse while on drug course as it may be harmful for the newborn.
- This drug cannot be used to treat viral infections.
- This drug can cause several serious side effects that may include tendon problems, nerve damage, mood disorders or low blood sugar. In certain cases, it can also cause heavy damage to the aorta as well. Upon noticing any unusual side effects, make sure to contact an emergency helpline to avoid fatality.
- Do not use this drug in case of specific muscle disorders. Consult a doctor in case of such conditions.
- Keep out of reach of children. Ciprofloxacin ear drops/eye drops are not recommended for children under the age of 1.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.