06 Jul 2019
Generic Name : LORATADINE
Claritin is an antihistamine drug used to treat symptoms of allergies and hay fever, such as runny nose, sneezing, itchy or watery eyes, itching and hives. It works by reducing the effects of histamine chemicals in the body that are responsible for these symptoms. This drug is also used to treat patients with chronic skin reactions. Claritin Eye (Ketotifen ophthalmic) is a different antihistamine drug used to treat itching in the eyes due to allergies and exposure to pollen dust; and is simply the ophthalmic alternative to this drug.
- It is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Drug use generally terminates as soon as symptoms clear up.
- This oral tablet is to be swallowed whole, once per day.
- General Adult Dosage available: Oral tablet – 10mg per day Oral liquid solution – 5mg/5mL Claritin Eye (strength) – 0.025%
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Stomach pain
- Eye irritation or hypersensitivity to light (Claritin Eye)
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Unusual palpitation frequencies
- Severe headache
- Light headedness
- Severe itching or swelling (Claritin Eye)
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Claritin has no major interactions, but has moderate interactions with 55 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of asthmatic conditions, liver disease or kidney diseases.
- Do not take this drug in case of an allergy to loratadine or desloratadine.
- Consult a doctor in case patient is using chewable tablets and has phenylketonuria, as this form of Claritin may contain phenylalanine.
- Do not use Claritin Eye in case of an untreated eye infection or while wearing contact lenses. Wait for 10 minutes after administering before putting eye lenses back on, if any.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not recommended for children below the age of 2. Certain medications such as these can cause adverse side effects in infants, including death.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Overdose symptoms may include severe headaches, drowsiness or extremely irregular heartbeats.