06 May 2019
Colon Cancer is a cancer that develops inside the large intestine. The cancer can affect at any age, but usually it happens to older generations. Polyps are formed inside the colon which is usually a small, non cancerous clump of cells in the walls of intestine. Over the time, it can get converted to colon cancer. It can also be called colorectal cancer, which is a combination of colon and rectal cancer.
The cause for colon cancer is not clear till date but it initiates when there is a mutation in DNA of colon cells.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Irregular stool consistency
- Bleeding in rectal area
- Abdominal pain, cramps and gastric issues
- Pain during bowel movements
- Weakness and fatigue
- Weight loss
- Screening tests
- Colonoscopy is used to take sample tissues to analyze them and remove the polyps
- Blood tests
- Surgery for removal of polyps
- Radiation therapy
- Healthy diet
- Regular exercise
- Consumption of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains on daily basis
- Avoid consumption of alcohol and quit smoking
- Limit the intake of saturated fat and red meat
It is the third most common cancer found in both the genders.Majorly, the older people gets affected but incidence in younger generation is also rising rapidly.