08 Aug 2019
Generic Name : METHYLPHENIDATE (ORAL)
Concerta is a drug recommended by psychologists and psychiatrists for the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and impulse control problems. This drug is a central nervous stimulant that works by altering the chemicals in the nervous system that contribute to hyperactivity and impulsive behavior.
- Concerta is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Initial dose may vary from maintenance dose.
- This drug is recommended as once in the morning, to avoid insomnia or disturbed sleep.
- It is recommended to consume food or liquids with this drug.
- This tablet is to be consumed whole without being crushed.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Extended release tablets – 18mg, 54mg, 72mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Abnormal amounts of sweating
- Abnormal heart rate
- Increase in blood pressure
- Stomach pain
- Changes in mood
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Uncontrolled tics
- Muscle jerking
- Blurred vision
- Severe heart problems
- Circulatory problems
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Concerta has major interactions with 19 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Concerta has moderate interactions with 84 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor detailed and accurate medical history prior to prescription. Notify especially in case of heart problems, high blood pressure or a history of specific illnesses in the family of the patient – such as depression or other mental health illnesses, motor tics, Tourette’s syndrome, seizures, epilepsy, abnormal brain wave test results or substance abuse.
- Do not use this drug in case of the usage of an MAO inhibitor in the 14 days prior to the day of drug consumption, to avoid a fatal interaction.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergic reaction to the drug, glaucoma, a history of Tourette’s syndrome within the family or severe anxiety.
- Avoid alcohol while on drug course.
- Provide the doctor a detailed medical history to avoid a stimulant reaction within the system that can be lethal. Certain stimulants can even cause death or other fatal reactions.
- In case of a history of mental illnesses, this drug can cause serious symptoms of psychosis. Always report behavioral and physical conditions to the doctor.
- This drug can become habit-forming. It is prohibited to share this drug with another person. In case of substance abuse or dependency, reach out to a medical authority for help.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not recommended for children below the age of 6.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately to avoid fatality.