08 Aug 2019
Generic Name : ROSUVASTATIN
Crestor is a medication drug that is used to regulate the body’s cholesterol levels by increasing the high-density lipoprotein while decreasing the low-density lipoprotein; the latter which, in increased amounts, is considered to increase the risk of heart conditions and stroke. This drug is used to treat cholesterol levels that have been inherited, to reduce “bad cholesterol” and the build-up of fatty deposits within the blood vessels. This drug is classified as an HMG CoA reductase inhibitor, commonly called a ‘statin’.
- Crestor is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- This drug is to be taken once daily, with or without food.
- Initial dose is generally 5mg, while the maintenance dose of Crestor may go up to 40mg per day.
- This medication has to be accompanied by a proper diet and routine exercise.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 5mg, 10mg, 40mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Stomach pain
- Muscle aches
- General weakness
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Upper stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
- Discoloured urine
- Severe muscle pain
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Crestor has major interactions with 22 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Crestor has moderate interactions with 136 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of liver/kidney diseases, thyroid problems, alcoholism or are of 65+ years of age.
- Do not take this drug in case of high levels of enzymes within the blood.
- Do not consume this drug in case of a pregnancy, as it may be fatal or even lethal to the mother and/or child within.
- Do not nurse while on drug course as Crestor may transfer through breast milk and harm a newborn.
- Avoid high fat/cholesterol while on drug course.
- Do not use antacids while on drug course unless recommended.
- Stop using Crestor immediately in case of seizures, electrolyte imbalance, severely low blood pressure, dehydration or approaching surgical procedures occur.
- Patients of Asian (especially Chinese) descent may absorb this drug too rapidly, causing dysfunction. Dosage is required to be altered in such cases.
- In certain conditions, this drug can cause a rapid breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, resulting in kidney failure. Contact a doctor as soon as possible in case of weariness, muscle pain, fever or dark urine.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not recommended for children below the age of 7.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.