01 May 2019
Crohn’s disease is a bowel disease which causes inflammation in the lining of digestive tract. Infection caused by this disease affects different organs of the digestive system mainly the ileum. It might lead to life- threatening complications.
- Genetic factors
- Low immune system
- Environmental factors
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
- Weight loss
- Blood in stools
- Joint pain
- Ulcers in the gut
- Mouth ulcers
- Blood test
- Stool test
- Endoscopy – It is a thin flexible tube to check inside the digestive tract for signs ofinflammation either by inserting through anus or mouth.
- Imaging tests like X- ray, MRI scans, CT scans
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Surgery :
- Strictureplasty – Procedure to widen the area of the small intestine.
- Resection – The diseased part of the intestine is removed and the healthy part of thebowel are surgically put together which is called as anastomosis.
- Colectomy – Removal of the entire colon.
- Protocolectomy – Both the rectum and the colon are removed
RISK FACTORS –
- Age – Most of the people get affected with this infection at younger age
- Family History
- Anti- inflammatory medication
- Environmental Factors
Center for Disease Control and Prevention has reported almost 14.6 new cases for Crohn’s per 1 lakh in a year.