12 Aug 2019
Generic Name : DESLORATADINE
Desloratadine is an antihistamine drug used to treat symptoms of allergies and hay fever, such as runny nose, sneezing, itchy or watery eyes, itching and hives. It works by reducing the effects of histamine chemicals in the body that are responsible for these symptoms. This drug is also used to treat patients with chronic skin reactions.
- Desloratadine is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- This drug can be consumed with / without food.
- The orally disintegrating tablet is to be kept within the mouth till is dissolves completely while the patient swallows regularly.
- This drug is taken once a day.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet/Disintegrating tablet – 1mg, 5mg
Oral solution – 2.5mg/5mL
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Dry mouth
- Sore throat
- Muscle pain
- Menstrual pains
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Allergic reactions such as facial swelling, hives, rashes or difficulty breathing
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Histamine phosphate
- Mumps skin test antigen
- Trichophyton skin test
Desloratadine has moderate interactions with 10 different drugs.
- Provide detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of liver / kidney diseases or are pregnant or nursing.
- Avoid consuming this drug in case of an allergy to Desloratadine, or in case of phenylketonuria. This drug contains phenylalanine and may cause harm to certain patients.
- Provide a proper drug history to the doctor before consuming Desloratadine. Notify your doctor especially in case of the consumption of allergy medication, cimetidine, Prozac, ketoconazole or antibiotics such as azithromycin.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not used for children under the age of 6 months.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.