15 Jun 2019
Diphtheria is a bacterial disease caused by microorganism Corynebacterium Diphtheria which leads to inflammation of mucous membranes of nose and throat. It makes glands swollen, throat sore, fever and weakness. There is a formation of false membrane in throat that blocks airway which makes breathing difficult.
- Air bubbles
- Air pollution like dust, mist, fumes etc
- Dusty household items
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
- Formation of pseudo-membrane between nose and throat
- Sore throat with roughness
- Swollen glands
- Rhinorrhea i.e. nasal discharge
- Struggle in breathing
- Cold and fever
- Breathlessness wherein breathing becomes difficult
- Heart complications
- Nerve complications
- Laboratory tests to identify the growth level of Corynebacterium Diphtheria.
RISK FACTORS –
- Low immunity
- Unhygienic conditions
- Travelling to disease prevalent places where disease is common
RISK FACTORS –Diphtheria specific vaccination, better to be administered during childhood.
- Annually 5 to 10 percent of people get infected with diphtheria worldwide.
- The mortality rate is 20% in infected children of age under 5 years or older people with age more than 40 years.