05 Aug 2019
Generic Name : DOMPERIDONE
Domperidone is the drug which is sold under the brand name called Motilium. It is used to treat digestive disorders by improving the movements of the bowel and gut to relax the stomach of any gastric pains. The drug is used as an antiemetic and a galactagogue agent for relieving bowel working. It also work for the symptoms like nausea and vomiting which are a result of drugs used in Parkinson’s disease.
- Domperidone has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult dosages:
Oral tablets for gastrointestinal disorders- 10 mg, 3-4 times a day.
Oral tablets for nausea and vomiting- 20 mg, 3-4 times a day.
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Muscle rigidity
- Irregular heartbeat
- Dry mouth
- Flushing, or irritability
- Trouble sleeping
- Stomach cramps
- Hot flashes
- Leg cramps
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Chest pain
- Swelling of the feet or ankles
- Difficulty urinating
- Swelling of the breasts
- Discharge from the nipple
- Menstrual changes
- Sexual difficulties
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Use of Domperidone is not recommended for interaction with the following medications:
- It is only to be given under the immediate supervision of a doctor.
- The drug should be stored at a room temperature ranging from 59 to 86 degrees of Fahrenheit.
- The patient should inform doctor about any history related to breast cancer or some allergy before medicine consumption.
- Avoid alcohol and alcoholic products.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH DOMPERIDONE:
- Do not use this drug in case of pregnancy, as Domperidone can fatally harm the mother or the child within.
- Females, in no case should take the medicine for increasing the breast milk production.
- Do not nurse while on drug course, as Domperidone may transfer through breast milk and may harm a newborn.
- Abrupt termination of consumption of the drug leads to various threats to the body.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.